Boko Haram seizes kidnapped girls’ hometown, Chibok
AP, MAIDUGURI, Nigeria
Islamic extremists in Nigeria have seized Chibok, forcing thousands of people to flee the town where insurgents kidnapped nearly 300 schoolgirls in April, a local official said on Friday.
The Boko Haram insurgents entered the town on Thursday, shooting from pickup trucks and motorcycles, Chibok local government chairman Bana Lawan said.
“Nobody can tell you what is happening there today because everybody is just trying to escape with their lives,” he said.
In Washington, US Department of State spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the US is closely monitoring the situation in Chibok.
“We condemn these attacks in Chibok, a community that has already suffered too much... We remain committed to helping the government of Nigeria address the threat posed by extremist organizations, Psaki told reporters.
In a separate development, a bomb exploded on Friday night in northern Kano City, the second-largest population center in Nigeria, killing six people, including three police officers, the police said.
Resident Aliyu Yusuf Hotoro said many buildings shook from the force of the explosion from a car bomb in a gas station on a main road leading to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State. Soldiers, police and emergency rescue operations workers cordoned off the area.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bomb, but Boko Haram extremists have detonated them in Kano in the past.
Meanwhile, attempts to call the cellphones of some of the kidnapped girls’ parents living in Chibok failed. Boko Haram extremists often destroy cellphone towers, and the military often cuts communications to areas under attack.
Dozens of the kidnapped girls escaped in the first couple of days after their capture from a boarding school just outside the town, but 219 are still missing.
Community leader Hussain Monguno said none of the escapees was in Chibok at the time of the attack. They have all been given scholarships to other schools in northern Nigeria.
Nigeria’s military commander announced on Oct. 17 that the country’s homegrown Boko Haram extremist group had agreed to an immediate ceasefire.
Government officials said the truce would lead to the girls’ speedy release.
However, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau in a video released last month said the girls were “an old story,” that they all had converted to Islam and been married off to his fighters.
At least seven of the girls’ parents have died since their abductions, from causes such as heart attacks that residents blame on the trauma, according to Monguno, head of the Borno-Yobe People’s Forum.
Since the apparent ceasefire announcement, the insurgents have taken control of several more towns and villages where they have declared an Islamic caliphate along the lines of the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria.
In an area covering about 20,000km2, residents caught behind the militants’ lines say they have set up courts upholding a strict version of Shariah law, publicly amputating the hands of alleged looters and whipping people for infractions such as smoking cigarettes.
Structure of the lead:
WHO-Islamic extremists
WHAT-Islamic extremists in Nigeria have seized Chibok
WHEN-April
WHERE-Nigeria
WHY-not given
HOW-kidnapped nearly 300 schoolgirls
Keywords:
- Boko Haram:博科聖地
- flee:逃離
- insurgents:叛亂者
- cordoned off:隔離
- abduction:綁架
- militant:激進份子
- amputating:切斷
- looter:掠奪者
- infraction:違反
In my opinion, Islamic extremists in Nigeria have to stop doing such a dirty thing. And the thing that the military cuts communications is so inhuman that none of the parents could bear. Also, I don' t think it is a good way to kidnap a girl ! As for the US Department of State spokeswoman Jen Psaki , since she said the US is closely monitoring the situation in Chibok , there must be more things that the US could do than just '' closely monitoring '' .
回覆刪除Hope that the Islamic extremists in Nigeria could stop it and the girls could go back home with safety.
I can't believe how crazy the Islamic extremists are.They keep exclaiming that the whole things are Allah asked them to do.I don't think any god will propose the unreasonable demand.And I also think the government's attitude toward the kidnap is totally bad .It is too late that they miss the proper timing to rescue the 200 poor girl students.Hope the Islamic extremists can be bring to justice soon and the girls can return to their warm home as soon as possible.
回覆刪除I think Islamic extremists are crazy. The Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 Nigerian girls only because they opposed to Western-style education. The girls are very innocent. But the most hateful thing is that the government's response. The government did not do anything to save their girls. I hope the extremists can release those girls and let them go home earlier.
回覆刪除